We want to promote peace through heritage preservation. We recognize together with UNESCO that “Heritage is our legacy from the past, what we live with today, and what we pass on to future generations”, and strongly believe that to build peace it needs to preserve and value Heritage.
This is something that violent extremist groups know well. In fact, heritage sites are often in their sights and become targets of destruction.
Our goal is to sensitize society about the importance of preserving and defending heritage as a means for promoting culture and enhancing mutual understanding, thus, to build durable peace. To reach this goal, in November 2015 we have launched a social media campaign to spread knowledge about World Heritage Sites endangered by violent extremist groups, and call for an individual standing up against such violent actions, because: who destroys the past, has no future!
Our logo recalls the campaign “Yes, with my face” that is aimed at creating a network of people, who are aware of the value of heritage and want to take action for it.
Faces4heritage wants to support the campaign by UNESCO, and it is featured on its website.
ENDORSE THE “YES, WITH MY FACE!” CAMPAIGN
- Change your Facebook profile picture with one that combines half of your face with half face of a destroyed statue. We developed an application to automatically create the new picture: you can find it below. Once you have changed your FB profile, please, write a post on our Facebook page and using the hashtags #faces4heritage & #unite4heritage
- Like the official Facebook page
- Follow us on Twitter
- #faces4heritage on Wikipedia
- #faces4heritage presented at the U.S. Department of State in Washington
- #faces4heritage presented at the UNESCO meeting on (Social) Media and the deliberate targeting of cultural heritage